Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Chocolate Cantaloupe Cake

Ever since I found a recipe for Cantaloupe Bread a few years ago, I have tried to come up with ways of incorporating it into other recipes.

I began to realize that the melon could be used in place of applesauce in recipes, and wanted to come up with a cake, since cantaloupe adds a sweetness that applesauce can't match, and seemed perfect for a cake.


Turns out, I was right on the nose...or taste bud - this is a wonderfully sweet, but not overly sweet treat, made lighter with less oil and less refined sugars. Now you really can have your cake and eat it too!


My son has done nothing but scream for cake for the last few days now, and hubby is happy to take slices in his lunch. I am not worried about the apparent overindulgence of either of my men thanks to the recipe. It came out of the oven moist and has stayed that way for the last three days, which tells me this is a keeper.

Tip: If you get hold of an overripe or mushy cantaloupe, remove the seeds and puree it and freeze it in 1-2 cup portions, then thaw it out when you are ready to bake - a perfect way to use an otherwise throw-away ingredient!


Servings Yield: 16 slices

Cost per serving:  less than .30 per slice


Chocolate Cantaloupe Cake


  • 2 1/2 flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/4 c. sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 c. cocoa (I used dark cocoa)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 c. light butter spread (I used I Can't Believe Its Not Butter Light)
  • 1 1/2 c. cantaloupe pulp
  • 2 tbsp powdered sugar (optional to sprinkle on finished cake)


Drain the cantaloupe pulp in a colander to remove the water - it should have the consistency of applesauce and not be overly soupy

Mix the pulp with the butter and sugar

Add eggs one at a time and beat until well incorporated

Add vanilla

Add dry ingredients and blend thoroughly

Pour into a greased bundt pan and bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes

Turn out onto a plate to cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment