Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pumpkin Spice Bagels

I had always wanted to make bagels, but I had a tendency to allow breads to intimidate me.  I still remember the weekend  I was paging through my newest copy of Healthy Cooking, I came across a Pumpkin Spice Bagel Recipe. I literally squealed. I knew it was time to face the beast. And guess what? I won!
  



The dough was a cinch - you mix it in a bread machine - what could be easier? Don't own a bread machine? It could easily be done by kneading the dough by hand or in a stand mixer for about 7-10 minutes, then allowing the dough to rise for about 60-90 minutes before shaping the bagels before boiling.



The dough is a bit sticky and hard to shape. Stretching out the rings can be challenging, but nothing close to impossible. Even in this raw state, they smelled amazing. But after I got them out of the oven? Oh man....



I could hardly wait to slice into one of these and didn't want to let them cool. But, my son was napping when I pulled them out of the oven and he loves bagels, so I knew he would be the one with the honor of taking the first bite...




He inhaled it. I could not have been happier with them. Soft and pillowy on the inside, and the perfect chewiness that you expect from a bagel on the outside. 

And the flavor? It'll make your tongue want to slap your brain out! I heard that back when I was watching Master Chef and have been dying to have a reason to say it, and these give me the right! The flavor screams fall so loudly that you will be deaf before you swallow your first bite.

Now, let's talk about money. You know you can wait a few months and run to your favorite bagel place for a pumpkin bagel. You also know you'll be paying through the nose for just one. What would you do if I told you you can make all 9 of these for less than you'll pay for one? 

Plus, if you're getting antsy for fall flavors, you can have these in your kitchen today - you'll only be waiting on your oven! 


In case you missed it --
Go.
Make these.
Now.
You won't be sorry.

Servings yield: 9 large bagels

Cost per serving: .20 per bagel 

 

Pumpkin Spice Bagels

from A Taste of Home Healthy Cooking

  • 2/3 c plus 2 tablespoons water (70° to 80°), divided
  • 1/2 c canned pumpkin
  • 1/3 c packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp ground allspice
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 3 c bread flour
  • 1 pkg (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 tbsp cornmeal

In bread machine pan, place 2/3 cup water, pumpkin, brown sugar, salt, spices, flour and yeast in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).


When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into nine balls. Push thumb through centers to form a 1-in. hole. Stretch and shape dough to form an even ring. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes; flatten rings slightly.


Fill a Dutch oven two-thirds full with water; bring to a boil. Drop bagels, two at a time, into boiling water. Cook for 45 seconds; turn and cook 45 seconds longer. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.

Whisk egg white and remaining water; brush over bagels. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal. Place bagels 2 in. apart on prepared pan. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm... I love pumpkin spice and I can imagine how delicious that would be a bagel.

    ReplyDelete